I’m just going to go straight into this one with no pre-amble (Happy New Year etc etc!) because sorry not sorry, this post isn’t for you guys. This one’s for me. To make me accountable on all fronts – sewing, studying, self loving and all the rest. I *might* call this my #2017makenine post although, I’m just scribbling at the moment and I haven’t done a great deal of planning and my aims for 2017 focus much more on improving and learning certain skills than producing particular garments.
- To improve and take more time and care over seam finishing to improve the quality of my makes. Mainly I want to invest time into learning enclosed seam techniques such as french seams and seam binding. I love the look of these and I don’t have regular access to an overlocker, so I need a method I can do without visiting my mum!
- To sew with as many different types of fabric as possible. I stick to shirt and skirt fabrics and shy away from anything flimsy, thin, silky or slippy and feel like my wardrobe would definitely benefit from a few floaty items!
- To make something that requires actual considered fitting rather than a ‘tack and attack’ approach. I’m a science, data and figures nerd by day and I love the idea of understanding measurements and altering pattern rather than piece.
- To go to the Liverpool Sewing Club at least once or twice and meet some local likeminded people who might just be able to help me achieve some of the above pointers!
- To take part in the Facebook groups #dressmakingbloggerchallenge fabric challenge (See point 2).
- Lounge pants using the pattern included in Tilly’s Love at First Stitch in cosy brushed cotton
- Sewaholic Fraser – I’m thinking with an embellished set in collar maybe.
- A selfless sew – A mans casual shirt or summer shorts perhaps.
- A summer Cleo pinafore (gingham? embroidered demin?)
- A pair or casual trousers (A step up from lounge pants on the trouser making practise!)
- A top with OTT bell sleeves – Megan Nielsen’s Dove I think!
- Curtains and soft furnishings for my first non houseshare house.
- To get the first paper towards my PhD written up and handed over for comments.
- To learn a new computing skill – whether that’s a programing language or gaining a deeper understanding of a programme I hear mentioned a lot but don’t understand – PostGIS/Hadoop etc.
- To read and write as many weekdays as I possibly can and to make the best use of my time in the office to avoid taking work home with me. A.K.A STOP PROCRASTINATING.
- To stick to all my self imposed deadlines
- To take a day a week to work from home and focus my attentions on my own work rather than group projects.
- I promise to wear something other than jeans and a tshirt twice a week (gotta get outta the rut) and something handmade once a week at least.
- To find a healthier balance between saving and spending. I am too obsessed with saving as much as possible when actually, I really could afford some treats.
- To find a house to make a home with my lovely chappy and fill it with memories, friends and handmade soft furnishing (and scented candles).
- To remember that if you need a day for yourself in bed, that is fine.
- The obvious – more fruit, more water, don’t sleep in your make up etc etc.
- Pat more dogs.